Itchy little Buggers…
Our fourth of July was spent Lakeside, with plenty of boating, sunning, wakeboarding, discing, late-night fireworking, bocce-balling and beer-frisbie-ing. We also, of course, had plenty of run-ins with the Minnesota State Bird, the mosquito, and run-in is perhaps a bit of an understatement.
So, as we came home with dozens of mosquito bites and a couple of good hangovers, I got curious about some “home remedies” for the itchy bites. Here are some of the best ones (not all of which I recommend, but trying them all pretty much occupies you long enough to forget about the bite):
- Rub a bar of ivory soap over the itch.
- Place a piece of scotch tape on the bite; or dab rubbing alcohol or ammonia on the bite first then stick on a piece of tape.
- Hot water: Take a hot shower, or a hot bath, or apply a hot compress. As hot as you can stand it without burning yourself.
- Ice cube, ice pack or very cold water.
- Nail Polish
- Toothpaste (works for me).
- Underarm deodorant (solid or roll-on) – apply directly to bite area.
- Baking Soda & Water (works for me)
- Meat Tenderizer & Water
- Tums Tablets: crush and add a few drops of water
- Aspirin: crush then add a few drops of water
- Crushed Basil
- Lemon Slice
- Lime Juice
- Banana Peel (rub inside of peel on bite)
I think you can pretty much rub anything on a mosquito bite and its suppose to offer some type of relief… so how ’bout just your fingernails, or perhaps a statue of Jesus? Mosquito bites and all, we had a great 4th of July, and hope you did too! I’m really not complaining, at least they weren’t ticks this time!