Although we humans cannot navigate across the city using our sense of smell, we do have strong emotional attachments to scents. There’s a citrus spray I used the first time I went traveled abroad, and whenever I catch a whiff of something citrus I am exported back to Central Europe.
Our emotional connection to scent was particularly evident to me one day last winter when Josh hopped in my car and then announced that I “smelled like Junior year of college.” My jaw dropped when I realized that I had, in fact, put on Lovely perfume that morning. I had a few final spritzes left in a bottle that I had gotten as a Christmas gift from an old roommate during….my junior year of college.
Of course once I found out Josh loved the stuff I had to go out and buy a new bottle, and Lovely has now made its way to the top of my “Favorite Perfumes List”. Curious what other scents I love? Here you go.
- Love it Because: It’s a very memorable scent, (see above).
- Smells: Romantic and Floral.
- Wear it for: I would wear it everyday except I don’t want Josh to get too used to it, so I put it on about once every few weeks and he never fails to notice when I do.
- Cost: $52-$68
- Love it Because: It’s unique and I’ve never run into anyone else wearing it (except my sister, that copy cat). Also, I first bought it when I was in Denmark so once again it reminds me of vacation.
- Smells: Like something completely different, and smells slightly different on each person.
- Wear it for: I wear it all the time, but its a great one to wear when you want to be noticed or when you want a perfume that will last all day and into the next.
- Cost: $52-$112
- Love it Because: It has that unmistakable super fresh, just showered smell.
- Smells: Fresh like soap and fruity like apples at the same time.
- Wear it for: Smelling clean. It’s a great causal scent but it is also a great one for freshening up with.
- Cost: $58-$72
- Love it Because: My best friend wore it before I did and I cannot even catch a whiff of it on myself without thinking of her.
- Smells: Mature and sophisticated.
- Wear it for: getting attention. While it has a mature smell it is definitely a flirty perfume. Guys swoon for the stuff.
- Cost: $32-$110
- Love it Because: It’s pretty affordable so I don’t feel bad spraying excessive amounts.
- Smells: Sexy, obviously.
- Wear it for: everyday. It’s my go-to scent since it is affordable. I also have the Very Sexy scented shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, lotion, etc. Great signature scent.
- Cost: $10-$52
Other honorable mentions: Bare Skin by Leslie Blodgett, Covet by Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heavenly by Victoria’s Secret